There are several ways that you can get involved as a volunteer with Alliston Out of the Cold.
Shelter Volunteers – application required
Dinner Volunteers – registration required
Community Dinner Meal Serving Teams – 4:45pm – 7:30pm
Community Dinner Meal Maker(s) – meals prepared at home and delivered to space on the day of the meal (between 8:00am -8:30am or 4:45pm – 5:15pm)
Behind-the-Scenes volunteers – contact for more information
AOTC is always in need of organized and enthusiastic individuals with specific skill sets. Some areas that you might consider are:
All volunteers (over 18) must provide us with a Vulnerable Sector
screening prior to commencing work (not including meal makers).
This document will be kept on file at AOTC.
Please print this form, fill it out & return completed to
your local police detachment.
Community Dinner Serving Teams – registration required
– Teams of 3-6 people. Teams must commit to serve at least 1 meal per month.
– Perfect for any group of friends, family, a local business, organization, or a church group and more!
– Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to register your team
– contact for more information
– Individual or teams of people preparing a meal (from home) and delivering the finished product to the space at a specified time.
– Meal Makers will have no interaction with guests.
Requirements – Volunteers must be over the age of 18 to volunteer in the space (all shifts).
Volunteers must be available for at least 1 shift per month (many do more!)
All volunteers are required to complete basic training prior to commencing work. Returning volunteers are required to complete a refresher training for subsequent operating seasons. Once your initial volunteer application is processed, you will receive a link to register for training events.
Leadership positions require additional training.
All volunteers are required to sign a service agreement, release and waiver of liability and confidentiality agreement upon completion of training.
– Participate in the operation of the shift that they are scheduled for, under the direction of the Staff
– Carry out the many tasks required for the seamless functioning of the shift/program.
– Interact with guests throughout the duration of the shift (unless it’s quiet/sleep hours).
– Shifts available include: Evening and Breakfast
All volunteers (not including meal makers) must complete the basic training session before commencing shifts at the shelter.
Training sessions will be held at the AOTC building (41 Paris Street, Alliston), unless otherwise instructed.
After completion of the volunteer application you will be sent a link to schedule a training session, please save and check that link. Several training sessions are offered monthly.
From time to time AOTC offers additional training opportunities to our volunteers. This may include, CPR/1st Aid, NVCI, Mental Health 1st Aid, and other relevant training.
Volunteers wishing to be a Shift or Team Leader or Intake Worker will be asked to participate in a screening interview and must participate in additional training once accepted.